Friday, April 17, 2009

Jeez, Banana, shut your friggin gob!

So I've had a lot on my plate this week. Emotional learning, professional shirking, the days are just packed. Last night I came home after a day of running on fumes and treated myself to my favourite coping mechanism--cheap red wine and Juno. I know this movie is a hipster touchstone for a lot of girls of a certain ilk, but seriously, when I say I love this movie, it means more than when all those other people say it. It just makes me feel good in a way that not many movies do. I spent approximately 30$ renting it over and over again during various personal crises before I finally bit the bullet and bought the damned thing. I think a big part of my love for Juno is my debilitating obsession with Michael Cera. Also, there's just something about socially awkward, adorably dressed teenagers, especially pregnant ones, making fun of Sonic Youth and falling in love, that just makes me feel all tingly inside. Maybe I got myself knocked up in highschool in a previous life.

Last night's viewing was especially timely because I also just started reading Diablo Cody's hilarious book Candy Girl, a memoir of her experience as a stripper in Minneapolis. I resisted this book for awhile because I was afraid it would ruin my love of her screenwriting, but now I'm so glad I picked it up. She is every bit as self-deprecating and adorable writing about herself as she is writing dialogue for my imaginary boyfriend Paulie Bleeker. There's something so refreshing about hearing a neurotic, admittedly unconventionally pretty woman, talk about learning to be a peeler. So far she hasn't had any kind of over the top revelation of herself as a sexual being. Instead she's super self-aware and self-conscious, and almost amazed at her ability to do what she does. I can relate, I guess. I just like the idea that just because you can take your clothes off for a living, doesn't automatically make you anymore promiscuous or slutty, in your own eyes, or in the eyes of others. I was also overjoyed to hear that Def Leppard is indeed a popular choice for strippers, as I have always imagined this to be the case (as long as no one picks When Love and Hate Collide to rip off their pasties to--that song is sacred. SACRED.)

I had a half-formed argument about Diablo Cody and antifeminist sentiments to go into here, but to be honest, I'm not feeling super analytical today. I'd rather finish off with a feel-good scene from Juno to send everyone off into their awesome weekends. I searched high and low for a deleted bit where Juno sings at a coffee house but couldn't find it, so instead, here's a little love song to warm your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment