Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekend leftovers.

1. I know I already said it, but I'm really going to miss the National Gallery. Wandering through that place all afternoon makes me feel like I am on the best field trip of all time. Especially when accompanied by friends who actually know what they are talking about when they explain the art to you, and interrupt their own lectures with incredibly inappropriate anecdotes. Oh, Culture Hour.

2. I should also add the Manx to the list of things I'll miss. A life without easy access to their tofu tacos will make me a sad, sad girl.

3. In my ongoing, and increasingly heroic, efforts to avoid packing up my apartment, I watched Singles for the millionth time this afternoon. Then I googled Campbell Scott and got sad at how old he is now. This realization notwithstanding, the movie is every bit as good as it ever was, partly because it is so lo-fi and sincere. All the stuff that seemed so rad and cool the first time I saw it, the Mudhoney posters and Eddie Vedder cameos and awesome coffee shops, are so charmingly dated in a way that's more nostalgic than campy. It's like a Norman Rockwell painting.

4. On Friday night I pulled out a box of old mix tapes and we had a very enthusiastic rockout to REM, Elton John and Ru Paul, the Pet Shop Boys, John Cougar Mellencamp, and Soul Asylum, among others. This was less embarrassing than it probably should have been.

5. I am now overcome with 90s nostalgia and might spend the next hour rooting through old VHS tapes to find Reality Bites. While this one definitely falls further toward the campy end of the spectrum, I'd still kill for Winona's haircut and Janeane Garofalo's apartment.



6. I've actually read 2 of Ethan Hawke's "novels." Maybe I was just really high and still in love with him but I'm pretty sure one of them was kind of okay.

7. I have the best friends in explored space.

No comments:

Post a Comment