Thursday, March 4, 2010

Notable/Quotable

I'm easily overcome these days. Here are a few of the lines I've been stuck on.

You can't eat for eight hours a day nor drink for eight hours a day nor make love for eight hours a day--all you can do for eight hours is work. Which is the reason why man makes himself and everybody else so miserable and unhappy.

--Faulkner (always a ray of sunshine), quoted in the epigraph to Working, by Studs Terkel.

We sit there and we joke, "Wouldn't it be reat if we could just take this handful of plugs and just yank em? ... Like I said, you get so tense...If we could just pull em. Disconnect them and see what happens. You accidentally disconnect somebody, which happens quite often. You don't do it on purpose, although there are times when you feel you'd like to do it.

--Frances Swenson, Hotel Switchboard Operator, in Working, by Studs Terkel.


"He's a very charming drunk. It was somebody's birthday party up here and he had quite a bit of whiskey and he was quoting Yeats poems and he was crying."

"He was? He weeps?"

"But in the sweetest way."

--Mia Farrow and Judy Davis in Husbands and Wives by Woody Allen.


DISCUSS.

...Seriously, though, I've started reading again. Studs Terkel is blowing my work-obsessed mind. And I've nearly run out of Sex And The City reruns to borrow from the library (I think I'm a Miranda, trapped in a Carrie closet), so I think I'll turn back to fiction once I'm through Season Six. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment