Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Instead of reading, I've mostly just been cooking.

...and watching episodes of Parks and Recreation on the internet.

And identifying very intimately with Amy Poehler.



Here's a Tuesday Night Special.

Nearly-rotten vegetable soup (vegan friendly!)

olive oil (a few tablespoons) or butter (ditto), or both
1 celery heart (by which I mean, like, the whole thing you buy at the market, not just a stock or two), chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 head garlic, separated into cloves and minced to hell
1 container of stock (you may also want to water this whole baby down a bit)
1 head kale, chopped (Kale is very nutrient dense and under-appreciated! You will love it!)
1 tbsp. miso
random spice (I had fennel seeds on-hand, my favourite new go-to spice; I think it would also work well with basil)
2 or 3 avocados, chopped
tamari and/or salt and pepper, to taste
juice of one lemon (Actually I didn't have this, but I so wish I did, because it would've been even better with it)

Heat oil/butter and stir-fry veggies, random spice and garlic till tender. Add stock, miso and kale and bring to a boil. Simmer for ten minutes or so (longer if your dad calls and you forget about the pot on the stove). Add avocados and lemon juice and let cool. Season with tamari and salt and pepper as needed. Puree to your desired consistency (I like it with a few chunks left in). Serve and feel instantly warmed on a cold, Indian Winter kind of night. Tastes embarrassingly good with some cheese string as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment