Friday, January 21, 2011

Start as you mean to continue.

On New Year's Day, my mother called me to read me my horoscope over the phone (this is a fairly regular occurrence, but the January First version was much weightier than usual, on account of it was a horoscope for the WHOLE YEAR). She told me with interest that the astrologer for the bible said that Cancer gals like me should "start as you mean to continue." At the time, I was hung over and doing my best impression of Baby Huey following an epic New Year's Eve dinner here, and my mother's call was interrupting my Veronica Mars marathon (Logan Echolls, I would like to buy you dinner.), so I didn't think much of it.

Three weeks into 2011, though, I can say with certainty that if I have indeed started as I mean to continue, this year's going to be legendary. So far, I have interviewed for and accepted my dream job, decided to move back to my hometown, learned how to teach people to twist their spines like pretzels without fear of injury, lost my credit card, and sat through ninety minutes of gong meditation (a literal gong show, if you will). While I am concerned that if I keep up this frantic pace I may not sleep till 2012, I am also amazed and a little freaked out at the sheer power of the human mind. For the past few months, I'd been willing my life to change, but wasn't really sure how to make it so. And then, suddenly, it all just kind of happened. Thanks, universe!

The best part is that writing that last bit reminded me of the bit in The Big Lebowski where Walter quotes Theodore Herzl: "If you will it, it is no dream."



I think I'll leave it there for now. I promise many more weird, existential updates about packing up my apartmentas my move date gets closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment