Sunday, May 30, 2010

Miles away, just up ahead.

Last night I drove home after a wedding and after dark, and I lived to tell the tale. I kept myself awake by thinking about really dumb stuff. Here's a short summary.

1. This is the loneliest hour on the 401. Trust me, I've driven this road around the clock far too many times.

2. The sheer number of New Country songs based upon the "I ain't been to college, but I got more learnin's than those city folk" trope is terribly frightening.

3. Nevertheless, I do concede that ladies love country boys.

4. Chris Bohjalian is the literary M. Night Shyamalan. What's more, their names nearly rhyme.

5. Every major life event should include an end-of-night cheese tray/candy bar option.

6. I think I've gotten to the point in my spiritual development where I can appreciate and maybe even relate to a religious celebration that once would have really offended me in its supposed antifeminism, like, in this case, a Greek Orthodox wedding. I guess spirituality is more important than religion. I guess ceremony transcends belief, in a way.

7. That said, until yesterday, my entire frame of reference for Greek Orthodox wedding ceremonies was drawn from an old episode of Full House where DJ accidentally marries one of Uncle Jesse's visiting relatives by walking around the table with him. (Don't worry, guys! They just walked backwards around it and all was forgiven!)

8. If in some bizarro world artistic merit is judged by radio play alone, Kelly Clarkson is our generation's most important creative voice.

9. I really, really like Kelly Clarkson.

No comments:

Post a Comment