Thursday, May 27, 2010

Myself, I prefer positive drinking.

I think I want to soul-marry Barbara Ehrenreich. I've been reading her insightful and biting book Bright-Sided, which systematically tears the positive thinking movement a new A-hole over the course of 200 or so very readable pages. She's got a well-researched argument against everything: the Pink Ribbon Campaign for breast cancer awareness, The Secret, evangelism, the link between positive psychology and the economic crisis. Sure, I know, I said before that I was trying to unburden myself from all the things that piss me off for no reason, but one thing I'll never stop being mad about is when an industry is built up around the unhappiness and dissatisfaction of the individual struggling to find her place in society. So, you know.

Ehrenreich is amazing. You might also have heard of her 2002 book Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America. In it she describes her time spent undercover, living below the poverty line and working as a Florida waitress. I haven't read it yet, and I'm not always a huge fan of the whole journalist in disguise thing (exception to this rule: Never Been Kissed, starring my secret best friend, Drew Barrymore), but her writing's so sharp and just a little sarcastic that I bet she can pull it off.

Speaking of Never Been Kissed, here's another highschool movie that wormed its way back into my heart this week.



I think this movie is the reason I decided to become a successful career woman.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to have you back! I get tired just reading myself and always feel the need to look at the world froma very different view than my own.

    Good job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thank you, arthur! and believe me, i enjoy reading you for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete