Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oh, Canada.

How lame is it that I'll now have blogged about the re-broadcasting of Atwood's Massey Lectures not once, but twice? She's on Ideas again, talking debt in all its odd incarnations and being referred to by Paul Kennedy as an activist for women, writers, and birds. I think this is the legacy I now need to live up to.

Right now she's talking about being send to Protestant Sunday School by her parents who worried that she might become too "religiously addled" as a child. My parents took us to the Unitarian church for the first time for nearly the same reason. That and the day I came home and asked when my first holy communion was going down and they both shuddered in fear.

Nothing says Happy Canada Day like Peggy Atwood speaking live from UBC on the CBC. We may live in a country whose landscape could destroy us (thank you, undergraduate CanLit, for that erudite theory) but man, have we ever worked hard to read and write our way around it. Have a great random midweek holiday. Here's a nerdy Canadian gift for you all--the complete first season of Read All About It. In hindsight I can't believe each episode was only 15 minutes. In my memory it was so long, and so incredibly scary.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the read all about it link, though i am sort of afraid to ruin my memory of the show's awesomeness by watching it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was that trivia night that got me thinking about it! i have to say i can't watch it again either for the same reason...

    ReplyDelete