Friday, June 12, 2009

All this town needs is a ten-minute nail place.

Because brevity truly is the soul of wit, and because I wasted most of my lunch hour walking around looking for a place to get an express pedicure (seriously Kingston, what the hell?), a brief and undoubtedly witty list.

Favourite items my new library has that my old library didn't.

My New York Diary by Julie Doucet. Something about the way she draws can make a roach-infested Harlem squat look cozy and appealing. And her slightly-off quebecois english diction is adorable.

A scrapbook of uncollected sketches and stories by Adrian Tomine, my favourite comic artist to read when you kind of feel like you might kill yourself and need someone to push you off the ledge, or at least feel pretty miserable about the state of humanity. I love comics, partly because there's something inherently lonely about the artists I read. I don't know what it is about the medium that's so navel-gazey and personally nostalgic for the writers, but I love it. If you haven't read anything by Tomine, start with Summer Blonde.

Veronica Mars. Okay, in truth I borrowed this from a fellow librarian, but we have it at the library too! This! Show! Is! Amazing! It has elements of so many things I love, from My So-Called Life to Nancy Drew to noir-ish detective fiction. And cute boys. SWOON.

Dawson's Creek on DVD. Secret shame alert. I have not borrowed this yet but when I saw it on the shelf I had a flash in my head of a weekend in February when I will unplug the phone, plug in the DVD player, and not leave my house for days.

I cannot put enough emphasis on how exciting it is to have a whole new library collection to explore. It is Nerd Christmas, friends.

5 comments:

  1. I put in an order last year for Julie Doucet *sigh*

    And I also adore Tomine and Mars....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new library has so many tv shows on dvd! I miss that. I wish we would get Veronica Mars here. And 90210.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have joined the VM club. How would feel about joining the 'I love Logan Echolls' sub-committee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the time i got to the last episode i was having a serious physical reaction to logan echolls, in, like, a good way. i just loved him so much! i might even love him more than paulie bleeker, which is saying A LOT.

    and no, i don't get pedicures. i just think about it, and then go home and do my own nails without taking the old polish off. fancy.

    ReplyDelete