Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday, Monday.

A few crumbs from the start of the work week.

1. Oh please, people, send me your best and least disgusting cabbage recipes. My CSA is overloading me with the stuff and I never want to eat coleslaw again. I just made the most insane soup involving lentils and cabbage and lemon and pain. This is what cabbage does to me! It makes me hate soup, which is horrifying.

2. I spent a lot of the weekend reading Anna Quindlen's new book, Every Last One. I concluded that it is the beautiful, rich, character-driven equivalent of being punched in the gut several times in succession. She breaks my heart in the most wonderful, captivating way.

3. I spent the rest of the weekend hiding from the rain and driving all over hell's half acre, listening to Judith Light reading the audiobook version of Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner. I love Jennifer Weiner, I really do, and it was an audio CD of her short story collection, The Guy Not Taken, that really sold me on her. I like her subtle quirkiness and self-deprecation and soft but still sarcastic humour. And Angela Bower just sucks the fun right out of her, reading the story like a Southern melodrama. This might be one where you need the hard copy, but I'm giving it my thinking woman's chick lit stamp of approval nevertheless.

4. Now that Oprah's show is in its twilight season, I finally feel comfortable with admitting that I think she is absolutely awesome. I may hardly ever watch her show, and I will probably renege on this with her next book club pick, but today, I wholeheartedly endorse her. Whatever, all you haters! She is getting John Travolta to fly 300 people to Australia! She gets 'er done!



If you are not entertained and touched by that, you have no heart! NO HEART AT ALL!



Yep.

5 comments:

  1. I promise you that this is delicious:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/beef_cabbage_stir_fry_with_peanut_sauce.html

    Nancy Werlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thanks, nancy! i love a good peanut sauce recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove cabbage. I am a fan of all the stinky vegetables, though.

    Are you eating meat now? Because cooking cabbage in bacon fat is easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sauté thinly sliced / shaved cabbage with onions in butter. Plate in a mound and top with a poached egg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i usually love cabbage too, i'm just suffering from cabbage overload! i am indeed a fan of most things fried in bacon fat, though, and will add cabbage to the roster. and poached eggs? INSPIRED. thank you, friends.

    ReplyDelete