Friday, August 20, 2010

End of week free association.

1. Stephen King's still got it, man. Under the Dome is MESSED UP, like apocalyptic, could-maybe-happen, The Stand messed up. Granted, I'm a Stephen King fangirl from way back, and while there was a time that I loved his true horror stuff, when you live alone you can't really read Carrie before bed without being forced to keep every light in the house on all night and checking behind every motherloving door multiple times when you arrive home. And there's something to be said for the complicated, multi-plot insanity of King's crazy sweeping epics. From now on I am only reading books that require a glossary of characters at the beginning. I like a long yet mindless book every once in awhile. Makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something.

2. Remember the TV version of The Stand, starring Molly Ringwald and about a thousand other people? Remember when network miniseries were event viewing? Oh for the glory days of the early 90s. Apparently they are making a miniseries of Under The Dome. I kind of wish I had cable so I could, like, participate in the zeitgeist.

3. I think The Stand was considered by some to be Molly Ringwald's emergence into adult acting (or maybe that was just me). I remember being a really mean teenage girl and thinking that she looked like she'd been sleeping on her face since she wrapped on Betsy's Wedding and they just woke her up and threw her on screen again. I'm not nearly so catty anymore, partly because I now look like that most of the time too. Thirty: it's no laughing matter.

4. True love is a willingness to put the Beatles vs. Stones debate to rest while quietly holding onto the knowledge that your partner is wrong. I'll see your Let it Bleed.



And raise you Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey.



More cowbell? Hell yes.

4 comments:

  1. oh god, for a moment there, I thought you were saying you were on the Stones side... I didn't really feel like I knew you for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is this even a debate anymore? It's like saying you've only ever smoked weed or you've only ever drunk whiskey. Everyone knows that you discover the meaning of Life when you put the two together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, Molly Ringwald did look like she'd slept on her face for a while there and that is exactly what happens when you hit your thirties. The plus side is that if you follow in her footsteps, you will eventually become so obsessed with seaweed wraps and laser treatments that you will miraculously regain some of your former youthful glow and then feel you have learned enough to publish a book of advice. In the meantime, enjoy reflecting on a youth spent fantasizing about wearing a white top hat at your wedding a la Betsy.

    ReplyDelete