Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We're having a heat wave.

It's too hot to write. The residual heat from my laptop makes my legs sweat even more than they were sweating just from the incredible intensity of walking from the kitchen to the computer. This morning at yoga, my instructor suggested we open a water park with all the perspiration on the floor. She also referenced Ferris Bueller, and once again, I was reminded of just how much I love yoga.



Anyway, this heat wave is really frying my brain these days, to the point where I can't really read more than a couple of pages without getting confused and disoriented and cranky. I can't handle any intensity of theme, emotion, or subtext. I'm reading for PLOT, PEOPLE. If you're feeling the same way, I suggest you find yourself a copy of Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar. I've never read a Gossip Girl book, or watched the show, so I can't say whether her latest book, which follows a group of rich-ish college students (and the requisite milk-fed towny boy with a heart of gold and intentions as pure as the winter snow) through their first year at a faux-Ivy school in Maine, is any better or worse than that series. But I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the way von Ziegesar takes stereotypes, like the pot-smoking hippie dude who builds his own yurt, or the virginal, beautiful blonde from Connecticut, and makes them relatable and entertaining. And as for the plot, well MAN, I can't put this down. It's like a sexy soap opera for the upper crust. Dynasty-esque, if you will. This is beachy crack-style reading of the highest order.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take another cold bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment