Friday, March 20, 2009

weekend warriors

Oh boy you guys, it's going to be a big weekend around the First Avenue homestead. I'm talking documentaries on DVD, cheap read wine, overdue library books big. Here's the first of what I hope will be many weekend plan posts, just to give you a richer picture of just how exciting my life is.

Here's what's on the list for this weekend...

The Collected Short Fiction of W. Somerset Maugham Someone mentioned Up At The Villa to me the other day and I realized I'd never actually read anything by Somerset Maugham. The literature nerd in me died a little.

Hero Type by Barry Lyga I just finished Barry Lyga's amaaaaazing book, Boy Toy, which is an incredibly powerful, sensitive story about abuse and sexuality and the horrors of those things for a teenage boy. He writes about the psychology of being a boy like no one else. I can't wait to start his latest.

Steel Magnolias. Another piece of fallout from my drunk Oscar night ordering binge at the library. THIS IS A VASTLY UNDERRATED FILM. I don't think I've seen it since I was a teenager and I am so stoked to have a good old fashioned weepfest. Possibly Julia Roberts' greatest work, which isn't saying much.

Speaking of Julia Roberts, she is hilarious in this interview.



The Tracey Fragments. I read this book last year and it was so messed up. Anything that opens with a girl wrapped up in a shower curtain is okay with my books. Also, anything with Ellen Page.

This might be the last somewhat chilly weekend of the year. While I welcome spring with the wild, unbridled enthusiasm of a SADS sufferer, I will also kind of miss the readymade excuse to hunker down that is an Ottawa winter. I am an expert burrower. Alone time is the cause of, and solution to, all of my problems, and I am totally okay with that.

But enough about me. What are you reading this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment