Saturday, May 16, 2009

Everything must go!!!!! (maybe.)

(So I'm moving, and I'm packing, and there are things I'm on the fence about. I need your help. Tell me what stays and what goes. And what you want me to give you.)

Things currently living in apartment-purge purgatory.

1. Panasonic portable cassette player ('Walkman'). Still in working order, at least as of time and place of last use (Vancouver, August 2005, when I decided iPods were stupid and I would never own one and instead I'd revive the lost art of the mix tape).

2. Frankenstein (1815 Text). Last read (partially) in April 2001 in preparation for a Major British Writers final at the University of Toronto. (I should know what distinguishes the 1815 Text from the other versions but clearly I retained nothing other than the memory that the guy who guest lectured on this book also taught a Sci Fi course that my boyfriend took and he talked about Blade Runner in it and isn't that weird to study Blade Runner?)

3. A Guide to the Selected Poems of T.S. Eliot by BC Southam (6th Ed.). Some spine damage due to being thrown against the wall of a Walmer Road slumhouse in the fall of 2002.

4. How Green Was My Valley on DVD, still in original plastic shrinkwrap. (Who needs to watch this movie more than once? Really. If I wanted to weep for 4 days I'd pull out my own teeth, or watch Steel Magnolias again.)

5. The entire John Hughes catalogue on VHS cassette (including the oeuvre's dark horse, Some Kind of Wonderful).

6. Approximately 76 candle holders/creme brulee pots/teacups/spare thank you notes, some with envelopes.

Any takers?

2 comments:

  1. I'll take Frankenstein! We were suppossed to read the 1815 text in english 100 but I had a cheap used copy of the 1818 so I was all like, "fuck that noise, my osap is better spent on furthering my action figure collection!" A sad, sad time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say keep the Hughes movies, they're such staples of the '80s that I think it's fitting that they're on VHS. If they were on Beta it would be both even cooler and even more impractical :)

    ReplyDelete